Monday, May 10, 2010

A Reader is Born...

I've carried on a lifelong love affair with books.  I don't know just when its seeds were planted; my earliest memories all take place after we moved to the house on Superior Road.  The books started coming when I was seven or eight.  Dad would come home from work every so often with a gift...even though it wasn't a special occasion...a book.  A perfect speciman...a new straight spine, beautiful, soft, cream-colored pages filled with words in crisp black type, a cover illustration that just hinted at the the story within...and no pictures.  I have no idea if Dad picked out the titles himself or if he had help from Mom...or a knowledgeable salesperson.  It never ocurred to me to ask until just this moment, so it goes unanswered.

First came The Five Little Peppers, I don't recall anything about that series other than I was not particularly enamored of them.  Next to arrive were The Bobbsey Twins - Flossie and Freddie were too young, I liked Nan with her dark hair that matched mine but not enough to care what happened next.  Still, I read them all because they were gifts from Dad.  Then one day he came home with Trixie Belden.  It was love at first sight!  I couldn't wait to find out what Trixie's and Honey's next adventure would be!  For the first time I found myself drawn into another world...again and again!  After finishing the entire series (in those days that was only about 6 books), I moved on.  Nancy Drew, Sue Barton: Student Nurse, Tom Sawyer, Little Women...I loved Jo, and Becky Thatcher!  Years later I even named my daughter Rebecca.

At the same time Dad was bringing books to me, Mom was bringing me to the books.  We went to the Floral Park library every two weeks like clockwork.  The librarian introduced me to Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace...and to Booth Tarkington.  I devoured those and many others until I eventually read my way through most of the children's section.  I read ravenously - every waking minute and after bedtime under the covers with a flashlight.

I must have been around eleven when Mom signed for a library card that allowed me to check out books from the adult section...and a whole new world opened up for me.