Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Legal Again...

In NC, we have to renew our driver's licenses every five years - timed to coincide with birthdays ending in five and zero.  Having just hit one of those milestones last month, it was time to renew mine.  Only, amidst the excitement of planning my first trip to Europe and going on said trip, I totally forgot.

Went to get my hair done this morning (it looks fabulous!) and on the way home  realize I've been driving around with an expired license for almost two months.  Seems like a good time to stop at the DMV.  The young woman behind the counter explains that today is a "slow" day and there's only an hour's wait - "not guarenteed."  Grab my current read from the car - ninety minutes later I've finished 5 chapters and am told my new license will be mailed.  They used to give it to you on the spot - now you get a piece of paper to use in the interim until your license arrives.  Not sure how that qualifies as progress, just hope my eyes are open in the picture. :-)

Then I notice that my car tag expired...in March.  I was sure I'd renewed online...but realize I couldn't have 'cause I'd never gotten my car inspected.  Go to an inspection station and get lucky - in and out in thirty minutes.  Now to the License Tag Agency.  They always seem to be in seedy strip malls and this one is no different.  When I walk in there are a lot of people sitting; the sign says take a number, sit down and wait.  I pull number 29 and discover they're only on 16.  It's 3:30.  Finally my turn arrives.  At 4:30, I walk out with my 2011 tag and stick it on my license plate right there in the parking lot.
 It's been a long day, I've had nothing to eat but a donut, and spent over $200.  But, my hair looks great and...I'm legal.

Update 5/24 ~ My license came, my eyes are open and the picture's not bad.  Don't have to worry about that for another five years!