Sunday, May 22, 2011

Deaf Sentence...

I'm reading a book called Deaf Sentence by David Lodge.  It is about a retired linguistics professor in the North of England who is losing his hearing, Professor Desmond Bates.  His wife is in the throes of a successful new career.  Down in London, his aging father is showing signs of needing assisted living though reluctant to admit it.  About the time he is doubting his uselfulness in life, an American grad student approaches him for guidance on her dissertation.  Her chosen topic is stylistic analysis of suicide notes.  He is intruiged - by both the topic and the attractive young woman.  I am only halfway through the novel and don't know how Prof. Bates' issues will be addressed or resolved  The story is interesting, though not riveting, and I am looking forward to the second half.

What really drew me to this book was the title.  I've never before read a book where the protaganist was hearing impaired.  Add the fact that Professor Bates and I are both in our sixties and you can understand why I was drawn to it.  Prof. Bates is frustrated with his hearing loss and all the ways it makes life difficult.  The author has really hit the nail on the head with his descriptions.  I find myself saying, "Yes.  Exactly!" to so much of the descriptive writing that centers around the frustration and feelings of isolation that accompany hearing loss.  I don't know how he's done it, but the author describes impending deafness as accurately as if he was experiencing it himself.  He seems to understand that deafness truly is a prison sentence of sorts.

I wish everyone in my life could read it...