Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Terrible, Horrible, Very Bad Week...

Lost a filling last Friday - just fell out while I was flossing.  It didn't bother me at first, but by Sunday my mouth was tender and I noticed a little swelling on my cheek.  On Monday the swellling was noticeable to others and the tenderness had graduated to soreness.  Now I'm one of those people who has a dentist-phobia and will do anthing to avoid seeing one, so needless to say I didn't have a regular dentist.  I called my daughter and got the name and number of hers.

They were quite nice and gave me an appointment for the next day.  Apprehension building by the minute, I made the trek to Wilmington Tuesday morning to see the dentist - who appeared younger than my kids.  He said there was an infection and gave me antibiotics - then the bad news - there wasn't enough tooth left to save.  It had to come out and, with a curved root, would need the skills of an oral surgeon; and I would need sedation.

The oral surgeon's office was equally nice and again I was given a next day appointment.  I called Jack, who arranged for time off to accompany me, then headed back to New Bern - dreading what was to come on Wednesday.  About half way up US 17, I fell into a Trooper's radar range and got a speeeding ticket.  Yes, I was speeding - but so was everyone else.  My abysmal luck was holding.

Wednesday arrived and Jack drove us to Wilmington.  I was nervous and hungry.  They started an IV and injected some Versed.  Things went smoothly - or so I thought- until I woke up.  Turned out I had an adverse reaction to the sedation and my oxygen saturation levels dropped.  I was extremely groggy and don't remember a thing - still don't - but my jaws ache and there's a bruise on my chest!  Jack got me home and took care of me, for which I am grateful.

Now, if I could just bite into something solid...