Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A Sibling Reunion...

Last week my brother Glen and I reunited with our half sister Amy - after thirty-nine years!
Gail, Glen and Amy ~ July 18, 2010

We lost touch with each other due to circumstances not of our making and our various efforts to locate one another hit obstacles time and time again.  Then a little over a year ago I hit paydirt.  After a number of letters and phone calls between Pennsylvania and North Carolina getting us all  reacquainted, Glen and I hatched a plan for the three of us to get together, presented it to Amy, and our reunion was born.

We spent four days together at my house near the beach.  We talked a lot, ate a lot, did a little sightseeing and talked some more.  We discovered various characteristics of our parents and grandparents in each other and retold story after story of our childhood experiences.  We probably spent more time reminiscing than we did talking about the missed years!

When they retired twenty years ago, Mom and Dad gave me their dining room set and it was a really great moment when we realized that we three were sitting around the same table where we ate dinner together so many times as kids!  Seems no matter what our differences today, the bond created growing up together is what binds us together now.

Amy met some of her nieces and nephews for the first time last week and I am planning to visit my niece and meet my nephews next month.  Our family is a little larger now and we won't lose touch again.