Monday, October 18, 2010

If My Glass Is Half Full - Better Make It a Double!

"Some men see things as they are and ask why, I dream things that never were and ask why not."    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~ quoted by RFK

Is it better to aim high and not reach, or to aim at average and reach it?  Is it better to be good or to be fair?  Is it better to be an optimist or a pessimist?  An idealist?  A realist?  A cynic?  A pragmatic?  Some may have answers.  Me...I'm still trying to figure out the questions.

I have an acute sense of fairness and have been disappointed ever since I discovered that life is not fair.  It should be, it ought to be and I'll never understand why it isn't.  Babies should all be born perfect, children shouldn't die, kittens should all be wanted and loyalty should always be rewarded.  I am an idealist...

I don't expect life to move along smoothly.  I expect Murphy and his law to rear their ugly heads.  The drought ends while my house is half-way through a new roofing job;  the water pump quits working two days after the the closing and I get the flu as soon as I've used up my last sick day.  I am a cynic...

I don't dream big.  I try to keep my aspirations in the realm of the possible.  I'll never have that Mercedes 450 SL so I dream about a new Honda Accord.  I surf the Internet in search of travel deals to Charleston...not Venice or Paris.  I am a realist...

My glass is usually half full.  I look for the silver lining.  My ex used to refer to me (somewhat disdainfully) as Pollyanna.  When I arrived home, the ballgame I was attending having been rained out, to find it was raining in my living room, I commented on what a great story this would make in years to come...and so it has.  I am an optimist...

Life doesn't go according to plan...at least not according to my plan.  It's a great job, just what I want, the benefits and salary are good, the hours are great, the interview went OK...but I'm not counting on it.  Aim low and I won't have as far to fall.  I am a pragmatic...
 
I worry and expect the worst.  I take leaps of faith and hope for the best.  I make a plan...and a back-up plan - or I dive in with no plan at all.

I close my eyes, cross my fingers and step forward...