Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sunflowers...and Broken Toes...

Just bouncing around the house yesterday trying to get ready for my weekend trip to NY when I thought I noticed a new sunflower in the yard.  Darted over to the window for a better look and BAM!  Rammed my foot into a heavy wooden chest.  The first word out of my mouth was not for family viewing...nor were the second or third!  By now Ed is standing in the doorway asking, "Are you all right?"  Looked down at my throbbing foot, saw the last little piggy sitting at a decidedly unnatural angle and cried, "NO!"

Once we had me settled on the couch - still throbbing, but no longer crying - I called my friend, Tricia, described my foot and asked for some free medical advice.  She and her husband Mitch own and operate Masonboro Urgent Care.  The consensus was that I could try moving my toe into place and buddy-taping it or see a doc and get it x-rayed.  I considered the first option but the lightest touch caused me to see stars...so told them I'd be along shortly.

The first x-ray showed it was broken in two separate places and totally out of alignment.  After three attempts to realign and set the fracture...involving two men pulling and twisting my toe, some excited utterances (that was me - on the last attempt, I shouted, "I'll tell you anything you want to know!"), local anesthetic (which dulled the pain, but did not mask it), and two more x-rays...it was declared "almost perfect" and taped up.  I left armed with a fracture shoe for protection and pain pills for relief...

On the way home Ed took me for seafood on the Intercoastal :)  As for my weekend in NY...I'll be the one hobbling.